Stamford and Greenwich first responders prepared, but not needed as Henry crosses CT



STAMFORD – Although initially predicted to wreak havoc in lower Fairfield Country, Tropical Storm Henri left Stamford and Greenwich relatively unscathed as the storm progressed further inland and eventually made landfall in Rhode Island.

In addition to Sunday’s build-up, the National Weather Service estimated Stamford could experience another two to four inches of rain on Monday as Henry’s impacts continue to rock the region. As a result, a National Weather Service flood watch will remain in effect until Monday.

The rain and winds intensified for short periods throughout the late morning and afternoon on Sunday, but it was business as usual for some residents.

Umbrella-clad pedestrians trotted through Stamford town center on morning outings and refueling runs, largely unfazed by upcoming surge warnings. However, the city closed all of its beaches before the storm and opened an emergency shelter at Stamford High School.

Just a few miles from Binney Park in Greenwich, joggers took advantage of the flickering storm as the nearby pond shook with each additional rain.

And in Darien, First Selectman Jayme Stevenson said his town had had no significant impact other than coastal flooding at Pear Tree Beach until noon.

“While we seem to have been spared by storm Henri, as a reminder, during periods of high winds and heavy rains, it is extremely dangerous to be on the roads with the combined risks of flash floods and falling trees. and power lines, ”Stevenson said.

Along the shore, emergency services had prepared in the days leading up to Henri’s landing, ready to intervene if necessary.

“In anticipation of the storm, our team of first responders with additional personnel and equipment was put in place to respond to any situation that may arise from this weather event,” Greenwich First Selectman Fred Camillo told residents in A press release.

Stamford also prepared in advance.

“The safety and well-being of our residents is our top priority and the city is fully equipped to respond to the storm in all respects,” Stamford Mayor David Martin said in a press release.

“Emergency response officials have held several hurricane preparedness meetings and have taken appropriate action to ensure our city is fully prepared for the impacts of this storm,” added Ted Jankowski, Director of Public Safety, of Stamford Health and Welfare.

However, by mid-afternoon, the strong winds predicted by the National Weather Service prior to Henri’s landing did not manifest and instead gave way to milder downpours throughout the city and two towns.

Even with winds reaching only a fraction of expected levels, utility provider Eversource still reported a handful of power outages across the region.

At the start of the storm, Eversource announced a budding hotspot for power outages in North Stamford, with 1,100 outages affected. Other spots have formed in Springdale, Riverside and Old Greenwich. However, the company expected to resolve most of its local outages by the end of Sunday afternoon.

“We were definitely ready for this,” Stamford emergency services manager Trevor Roach told Hearst Connecticut Media.

Yet beyond the relative calm near Stamford, the situation worsened. The bulk of Connecticut’s power outages have been concentrated in the eastern half of the state. Eversource has counted nearly 32,000 affected customers, although the number palers compared to Tropical Storm Isaias of 2020, when nearly 60% of Eversource customers lost power.

In Stamford alone 9,000 people lost electricity during Isaias, and in Greenwich another 10,000 customers felt the electrical impact of the storm.

With the prolonged blackouts of last year still a recent memory, Roach deemed the city and agency’s joint response to Henri a success.

“The Eversource representative was very happy with the level of the storm and Stamford,” he said.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.